home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Die Speccy' 97 / Die Speccy' 97.iso / amiga_system / the_aminet / comm / bbs / maxsutils.lha / MaxUtils / ProgramRequest111.lha / ProgReq11.doc < prev   
Text File  |  1993-04-30  |  3KB  |  61 lines

1.               Program Request V1.1 by James Joyce
  2.          -----------------------------------
  4. - A door for Max's BBS (all versions I think - have'nt had the chance to test
  5. on anything but 1.52 ) and it'll probably work on Paragon to - I have no idea.
  6. I've never even seen Paragon, let alone tried to use it. Anyway...
  8. - This door has one main purpose - to provide an easy way for users of a BBS
  9. to make requests to other users for certain files. All you do is hit the key
  10. connected with the door, and the options come up to either make a request,
  11. read all current requests, or quit the program. Thus you can see what others
  12. want, and upload for them if you can, or list something that you want and see
  13. if anybody else has it. Simple.
  15. - To set the door up, simply place it in one of the menus as function 34 (Door
  16. program option), and let it go. When someone tries to list all the requests,
  17. the program looks for a file called 'ProgReq.log', in the file area where you
  18. have Doors directory chosen as per the config in Maxs. It basically works with
  19. how the BBS comes set up in the 1.52 archive. If the file ain't there, it
  20. notifies the user, and continues. It creates the file when the first request
  21. is placed in it.
  23. - To remove requests, which the sysop should do regularly when he knows a file
  24. has been uploaded, you simply get a text editor, and delete that request from
  25. the file 'ProgReq.log' - it's saved as a normal text file, so editing it is
  26. easy. I couldn't be bothered to put in a 'remove request' option to the prog.,
  27. maybe in later versions (if any).
  29. - One new option for 1.1 - now if you want to have your own ansi screen for
  30. the options menu (ie q, l, and r) you can by calling it ProgReq.ANSI, and
  31. placing it in the directory where your doors are set to (ie the same place
  32. as where the program requests get saved to). It will look for this, load it
  33. if it's there, or just use the default options if it's not. I will make all
  34. the ansi lines user definable in the next version (I got exams etc. - time
  35. is not freely available). Only the options screen is definable at the moment.
  37. - The biggest reason I wrote this is because the mail system is no good for
  38. file requests - it's too wastelful and cumbersome. It is based on an idea I
  39. saw on an IBM BBS (yeah, sad I know).
  41. - My thanks go to Anthony Barrett - love your BBS. Shame you had to give it
  42. away for a life. I know of some guys looking at reviving the Max's BBS - hope
  43. that goes through!! Also thanks to whoever released the C code for accessing
  44. the BBS - just what I needed.
  46.                          James Joyce, 2223300493.
  48. - Future updates possibly include better ANSI coding (this is pretty poor, I
  49. know), deletable requests, configuration option and other stuff.
  51. - I have a BBS going online in June - Extreme Graffitti. Updates and other
  52. will be available there. The number will be (don't call till June) 4499621.
  54. History
  55. -------
  56. 1.0 Initial release. Thought it had no probs...
  58. 1.1 Fixed bug with where it saved to - if directory BBS:logfiles didn't
  59.     exist, it crashed the machine. Sorry. Also made it semi user definable
  60.     for ansi screens.